Monday, February 27, 2012

MULLED WINE!

I remember this one from when we used to go skiing in the Swiss Alps – if it wasn’t hot wine (gluhwein), it was something they called hunter’s tea (Jaegertee) which was more like a hot grog.  Both warmed you up – the latter just knocked you out a bit quicker.   Neither were supposed to be consumed by anyone under 18 (18 in Europe not 21!) – both were great lessons in tempering your drink consumption.

The thing about all these hot drinks is they’re sweet and they go down really easily – especially when it’s below freezing outside.

My grandmother’s family moved from Switzerland before she was born – however one of the traditions that got handed down and that was the recipe for the Gluhwein – I remember being so happy when I discovered that I didn’t need to travel back to Switzerland every time for a great mulled wine.

The secret she always told me was not to use bad wine or light wine! 


No comments:

Post a Comment